Noise Nuisance


Living in a property affected by noise nuisance can have a huge impact on your quality of life. A noise nuisance can be an act (actively making noise) or an omission (failing to stop a noise). Action can be taken against noise nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.


Steps for Making a Noise Complaint

If you make a complaint to the local authority they will inform the perpetrator that a complaint has been made and opportunity will be given to rectify the situation. This is a good track to take if you do not want the offending party to know your identity. If the noise continues, an Environmental Health Professional will be sent to assess the noise. If satisfied there is a noise nuisance the Professional will serve an abatement notice. Several factors will be taken into account to determine this, including the intensity, duration and frequency of the noise and where you are located. Some noise may be considered more or less acceptable depending on where you live.


The Next Steps

Sometimes using the public method to resolve a noise nuisance issue does not provide the outcome you want. It can also be time consuming if the Environmental Health Professionals are very busy. It is sometimes better to deal with the issue through direct negotiation with the other party. Mediation is another option. If the noise still continues you can make an application in the Magistrates Court for an order to stop the nuisance. This uses the same legislation as the local authority would use if they sought a Court order.


Our Services

If you want to take a private claim in the Magistrates Court we can look at your claim to see if you have a good case. There are certain things you need to have done leading up to a legal claim. We can advise you about this. We will take the time to fully understand your situation and help you to achieve the best outcome.

To talk to us about noise nuisance, please call our Bayswater office on freephone 0800 524 4709 to make an appointment or fill in our contact form.

Click below on more Landlord and Tenant advice:


Recent News

Reviews & Feedback

Contact Us

552 Harrow Road, London W9 3QG

Tel: 0203 7738 738 | Fax: 0207 2219 399 | Email: 

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Yelp
  • LinkedIn

Your data will not be disclosed to any third parties without your consent and will only be used for responding to your query.

For more information on how we use your data, you can read our Privacy Policy. 

Alexander Shaw is a trading name of Alexander Shaw Solicitors Limited which is a limited company registered in England and Wales with registered number 10995674. Alexander Shaw Solicitors Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority number 643633.

Click to see our Privacy Policy and Disclaimer

© 2020 Alexander Shaw Solicitors Limited. All rights reserved

  • Wix Facebook page
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon